What is a PSAP?
Personal sound amplification products (PSAPs) are affordable alternative devices to hearing aids, designed to amplify sounds in certain environments and situations. These situations typically include lectures, bird watching, and hunting. PSAP devices are intended for people who are not hearing impaired.
How Are PSAPs Different From Hearing Instruments?
One of the biggest differences is that these devices have not been approved as a medical device by the Food and Drug Administration. However, that does not diminish their ability to effectively amplify sounds. And unlike medically prescribed hearing aids that are intended to compensate for hearing loss, these devices are more affordable than traditional hearing aids and are also available for purchase without professional guidance from an audiologist. Generally, PSAPs range from $10 to $500.
Here is a list of popular PSAP hearing devices that you should know about:
1. Sound World Solutions Rechargeable CS50 Sound Amplifier
Sound World Solutions is a fully customizable PSAP with 3 built-in amplification presets that allow you to personalize your amplification profile. Some features of Sound World Solutions are:
- iOS and Android compatible
- 12-hour battery life
- Answer phone calls
- Wirelessly stream multimedia audio from a smartphone, PC or AV equipment
- Reduce background noise and feedback
2. MDHearingAid AIR
MDHearingAid AIR offers an improved noise reduction that will help you hear well even in noisy environments with their virtually invisible design with advanced digital technology. With four different settings, you can adapt to any environment and confidently hear in any given situation. They feature:
- 45-day risk-free trial
- Battery life 21-26 days
- Settings include social, quiet, and noisy
- US-based customer service
3. Bose Headphones: Conversation-Enhancing & Bluetooth Noise Cancelling Headphones
The Bose Headphones are conversation-enhancing headphones that help you focus on certain voices you want to hear and reduce the background noise that may interfere with that. Better engage with others, whether it be at a restaurant, coffee shop, or noisy social gathering. The Bose Headphones include:
- 10-hour battery life from a rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Fully charge in less than 3 hours
- iOS and Android compatible
- Wireless connection
- Customize your hearing experience
4. Britzgo Digital Hearing Aid Amplifier Bha-220
The Britzgo Digital Hearing Aid is a cheaper alternative that boosts voices and conversations in any setting. This amplifier offers four different modes – high, low, medium, and wide – to allow you to effortlessly accommodate any environment. Britzgo Digital Hearing Aid features:
- 500+ hour battery life
- Adjustable for either ear
- High & low tone control
- Modern stylish design
5. Tweak Focus+T Hearing Amplifier
Choose between the quiet or noisy mode to easily adapt to your surroundings with the Tweak Focus+T Hearing Amplifier. Although the Tweak Focus+T does not include Bluetooth connection, this amplifier offers:
- Telecoil setting for better hearing on the phone and in looped environments
- Three levels of amplification for your listening preference
- Digital volume control
- Battery is replaceable and lasts up to 7 days
Thank you for reading about what PSAP devices are. We hope our article was informative and helpful in describing the functions of PSAPs and how to find the perfect device for you! Also, check out our article on Bluetooth Hearing Aids.
AudioCardio is a technology company focused on hearing health and wellness. Learn how AudioCardio can help maintain and strengthen your hearing with your favorite headphones or hearing aids at www.audiocardio.com.